If you want to have a pet but can’t decide which one to go for then Chinchillas can be your new furry friends. Chinchillas are known to be really adorable pets as they love to jump and play around. They have the softest fur ever which will make you cuddle with them all the time.
Since Chinchillas have a playful nature which is why a few points should be kept in mind while picking a cage for them. So, if you have decided to keep Chinchilla as a pet then do consider these points before buying a cage for your new pet.
What to keep in mind before buying a Best Chinchilla Cages?
All Chinchilla lovers should keep these points in mind before buying a cage for their pet.
1. Material of Chinchilla Cage
- Chinchillas are the king of animals that chew on everything that is why the material of the cage should be taken under consideration before buying the cage.
- The material of the Chinchilla cage should be chew-proof.
- Bars of the cage should be made up of metal or some wire.
- Finishing of the cage should be of non-toxic powder coating.
- Plastic bottom is acceptable but the plastic should be chew-resistant.
- There should be a wire separation between the plastic bottom and the animal.
2. Size of Chinchilla Cage
- As Chinchilla is the kind of animal that loves to jump and play around here and there that is why the size must be enough to fulfill all the needs of the animal.
- Cage should contain multiple shelves so that Chinchilla can have all the fun inside the cage and doesn’t plan on escaping.
- If you have space problem and cannot have a large cage then look for multi-story cages as they save space and serve the purpose as well.
3. Room for Food Dishes, Water and Containers for Chinchilla Dust
- Chinchilla Cage should have enough room for food storage and water.
- Multiple shelves in the cage can serve the purpose of storing different things.
- Storage space for Chinchilla dust can also be a plus point if you plan to give dust bath in the cage.
- Toys can also be kept in the cage for your pet. So, enough shelves should be available in the cage.
4. Full-width double doors with Locks
- The doors of the Chinchilla cage should be escape-proof.
- Full-width double doors make cleaning easier.
- These doors also provide better accessibility.
- Wind bell locks are the best and the most secure option for Chinchilla cages.
5. Removable pan at the bottom level for waste storage
- Cage should have separate waste area.
- The pan for storing animal waste should be removable, this makes it easy to clean.
- There should exist a wire separation between the waste area and the animal.
6. Adjustable Shelves
- A Chinchilla cage with adjustable shelves is more convenient to use.
- Try to buy a Chinchilla cage with adjustable second and fourth shelves.
7. Specific Distance between the bars
- For a cage to be escape-proof, the bars should be close enough.
- Also, the bars should be far enough otherwise the legs and arms of Chinchilla can get stuck between the bars of cage.
- Best bar spacing measurement for the cage is ‘Half an inch’.
8. Attachment points for toys and Hammocks
- It would be a plus point for a cage to have attachment points as well.
9. Should be easy to assemble
- Large Chinchilla Cages are mostly not quite easy to assemble but a good Chinchilla Cage should be easy to assemble with minimum usage of tools.
10. Wheels at the base make transportation easier
- It’s much easier to relocate a Chinchilla Cage that has wheels as the bottom.
- Wheels should also be lockable. In this was unwanted sliding can be avoided.
11. Proper ventilation system
- A good Chinchilla Cage is ventilated properly.
12. Right Place to keep the cage
- Before figuring out the size for Chinchilla Cage; figure out the place where you want to place it in your house.
- Chinchillas are nocturnal animals, that is why their cage should be kept away from sunlight as they tend to sleep during the day.
- So, decide the size for the cage after you have decided the place where you want to keep the cage.
Following are some options for the best Chinchilla cages available
Complete details regarding each cage are given. You can compare their specs with all the points mentioned above and then make a choice accordingly.
1. Midwest Critter Nation with Stand
The Critter Nation Chinchilla cage by Midwest is one of the best options available. The bars of the cage are made up of chew-proof material. In addition to this multiple size options exist for this cage.
Both single-story and double story options are available and you can buy one according to your available space at home. This cage has secure doors and shelves as well. Food items, toys and Chinchilla dust can all be easily stored.
Apart from the shelf, separate pan also exists which contain waste. The pan is removable and can be easily cleaned.
Expansion option exists for Midwest Critter Nation Cage. Options of single as well as double stories are available.
In addition to these two options, an additional unit is also available. If you get a single-story unit and now you want to convert it into double story then you can use this additional unit for that.
Double story unit can also be converted into triple story unit through additional unit. Triple story is the maximum height that the company suggests for this cage.
Average price for Midwest Critter Nation with Stand
This case is a bit on the expensive side
Average price for this single-story Chinchilla cage is $146.99
Average price for this double story Chinchilla cage is $244
Although it’s the best option available but you can go for any other option if its price concerns you.
This cage can be easily accommodated anywhere in your house as it is available in multi-story options.
If you want a chinchilla cage that is not very large and should still have enough room for your pet then this cage can be a good option for you as it can easily accommodate at least two Chinchilla pets due to its multiple levels.
2. Prevue Hendryx Feisty Ferret Cage
Prevue Hendryx Feisty Ferret Cage is made up of chew-proof metal. Also, the finishing material of the metal bar is of non-toxic nature and it protects the cage from being rusted.
This Chinchilla cage also has multiple levels which provide enough room to the pets as they love to hope around. It’s a four-level cage and contains a floor pan as well. Removable floor pan helps to keep the cage clean.
Shelves are also available in this cage and food items, toys, Chinchilla dust can be easily stored in the cage. Ramps are also available in the cage which makes it easier for Chinchilla to travel between the different levels of the cage.
The doors of the cage are also large enough and are escape-proof. The two large doors also claim to be escape-proof which the best deal one could ever get as Chinchillas are little escape artists.
A hammock is also included in this Chinchilla cage which isn’t present in the previous option. This cage is also very much ventilated and your pet can easily climb around here and there.
The distance between the wires of the cage is also appropriate and it also has a stand as well as a storage shelf. All the supplies of food and toys can be kept safe on the shelves.
It is a four leveled cage and is not expandable to any other level. It has a fixed width and height and any additional units cannot be added above the fourth level of this cage.
Price for Prevue Hendryx Feisty Ferret Cage
The average price for this cage is $279. The price is a bit higher than prices of other cages as this is a four-level cage and quite spacious with a hammock as well.
If you need a four-level cage then this one is a good option as its specifications are really good. It has all the things which make a good cage for Chinchillas.
As far as accommodation is concerned as this cage has four levels that is why two or more than two pets can be easily kept in this spacious cage with large doors. The distance between its wires is also appropriate so the ventilation is also good.
3. Midwest Homes for Pets Ferret Nation Double Unit Cage
This Chinchilla cage is double story. Two levels mean a more spacious cage which can house more than one Chinchillas.
It also comes with an adjustable shelf which can be removed easily. Food items and toys can easily be stored in the cage due to the presence of shelves. As the shelf is easily removed that is why it is very convenient to clean the cage.
This cage provides a safe environment for the Chinchillas to live in and it also makes it easier for the owner to feed the pet. It’s quite safe for the Chinchillas to climb around in the cage as the cage is designed by taking all the safety measures under consideration.
The expansion option for this cage doesn’t exist but the cage has an adjustable shelf which can be easily removed as well and this makes things easier for the owner.
Price for Midwest Homes for Pets Ferret Nation Double Unit Cage
Price for this cage is $239.99. This cage is a good option if you want a double story cage with removable platforms and adjustable shelves as well.
This Chinchilla cage can easily accommodate more than one pets as it has two levels. So, one pet also won’t try to escape as it will have the company to the second one.
Also, this cage is very secure option as the platforms have ramp covers which provide protection to feet of pets and they won’t slip between the levels of the cage.
4. Dreamhome Heavy Duty Chinchilla Cage
This cage is small in size as compared to other cages. Cage is made up of wires and the coating of the metal is done with non-toxic powder which means that the problem of rust and corrosion won’t arise. This non-toxic powder coating also makes this cage a reliable option to have.
The cage also has wheels at the base which makes transportation easier. The wheels can be locked as well and this prevents unwanted sliding of the cage. Wheels at the base are actually an additional feature of this cage.
Separation between the wires is also normal which actually makes the cage escape-proof for the Chinchillas. The bottom of this Cage is made up of plastic but a separation exists between the plastic bottom and the animal.
The separation is done with the help of wires. In this way the pets cannot reach the plastic bottom and also a separation will exist between the animals and their waste.
The plastic bottom is chew resistant so the animals won’t be able to chew it even if they reach the bottom compartment. Also, the plastic compartment is removable and makes cleaning the cage easier.
The expansion option for this cage does not exist. It’s a bit smaller option as compared to other cages which are of two or even four levels.
Estimated Price for Dreamhome Heavy Duty Chinchilla Cage
Average price for Dreamhome HeavyDuty Chinchilla Cage is $100.
Considering this cage is a bit smaller in size it is suitable for accommodating one Chinchilla only.
5. Homey Pet Three-Tier Chinchilla Crate
This three-tiered Chinchilla cage is a bit smaller in size than other available options for the cages. If you plan to have one Chinchilla as a pet then this cage can be a good option.
The cage has wires made up of metal so this makes the cage chew-resistant and safe for your animal. The bottom is made up of plastic but it’s also safe for the animal.
This cage also contains a urine guard which is quite good as far as hygiene is considered. Also, the plastic base is separated from the rest of the cage through a layer of wire and it makes the cage secure for the animal. Infections and diseases can be prevented through this wire separation.
Also, the waste tray is removable and which is why the cage easy to clean. The coating of the cage has also been done with a non-toxic powder which prevents the cage from rust and corrosion.
The spacing between the bars of this cage is correct. Also, the 3 levels of this cage will make it easy for the Chinchilla to climb around. Wheels are also present at the bottom of this cage due to which the cage is easy to move around.
The three-tier Chinchilla cage cannot be expanded by using any additional unit.
Estimated Price for Homey Pet Three-Tier Chinchilla Cage
The price for this Three-tier Chinchilla cage is $99.
Although this is a Three-Tier chinchilla cage, it still can accommodate one animal.
6. Prevue Hendryx Earthtone Chinchilla Cage
The Prevue Hendryx Earthtone Chinchilla cage is a bit smaller in size than the Prevue Hendryx Fiesty Ferret Chinchilla cage. The material used for making this cage is solid metal. It’s also a highly durable cage because the platforms are made up of metal.
The platforms are not made up of plastic and this makes this cage chew resistant. The stand is also included in this cage. This cage also has a storage shelf which can be used to store toys, food supplies, and Chinchilla dust.
Doors of this cage are also secured with a wind-bell lock and are large in size. One door is located on the rooftop of the cage and the other is located on the cage front and these two doors make the cage protected and safe for your pet. The distance between the wires is also appropriate and this cage is perfect for keeping Baby chinchillas as well. As the cage is escape-proof that is why it is a good option for keeping baby chinchillas.
The plastic tray is removable which makes the cage easy to clean. There also exists a wire separation between the tray and the animal while this tray maintains a separation between the waste and the animal.
Expansion option does not exist in this cage.
Estimated Price for Prevue Hendryx Earthtone Chinchilla Cage
Average price for this cage is $119.
Should be kept in a place away from sunlight and it can accommodate maximum 2 chinchillas.
7. Mcage Large 3-Level Chinchilla Cage
This is one of the best affordable Chinchilla Cages. If you have just started thinking of having Chinchilla as a pet and looking for a suitable cage then this can be a perfect option for you.
The wires of the cage are chew-proof and the distance between the wires is also appropriate. This makes the cage escape-proof and can be used to keep baby chinchillas as well. The levels of this cage are 3 and your chinchilla can jump around the cage very easily.
The cage is very easy to clean as the bottom tray is removable. This cage is also very travel-friendly as it is foldable. The cage is also light-weight and hence is easy to carry anywhere possible. As the cage is light-weight and has a no stand that is why it can be placed on a table or a desk as well.
Due to the small size of this cage its doors are also very small and large-sized accessories are hard to put inside the cage.
Expansion Option doesn’t exist for this cage.
Estimated Price for Mcage Large 3-Level Chinchilla Cage
The price for this Chinchilla cage is $47.
This cage can accommodate minimum of two chinchillas.
8. Petmate 2-Door Top Load Kennel
If you love to travel around the world and don’t like to leave your pet behind at home then this cage is a perfect option for you. This cage is also suitable if you are traveling by air as it meets the threshold of the airline standards of carry travel cages.
The structure of this cage is made up of steel as well as plastic and it’s available in a variety of colors.
The available colors are: Honey Rose, Pearl White and Ash Blue.
The cage is also very easy to carry as it can be used for traveling purposes. The handle of this cage is also quite sturdy. It also has enough space to keep toys and some other stuff in there. The cage has two doors; one on the side and the other door is placed at the top.
The side door is made up of stainless steel and the top door is made up of plastic. Both the doors are quite secure. In addition to everything else, the cage has small holes that allow fresh air to pass through the cage all the time.
Petmate 2-Door Top Load Kennel Cage does not have any expansion option available.
Estimated Price for Petmate 2-Door Top Load Kennel
Estimated Price for this cage is $33.
This cage can accommodate only one Chinchilla.
9. Mcage Large Double Wrought Iron Cage with 3 levels
If you are looking for a double cage then you can definitely consider this option. This cage comes with a divider which can divide the cage into two parts.
The cage has two doors and each compartment will have one secure door. The bars of the cage comprise of a non-toxic coating of powder which is also a plus point for this cage. Cage includes shelves at the bottom which can be used to place various food items or other accessories. Removable platforms are also included in the cage.
Removable ladders are also included in the cage. The cage is easy to clean as the platforms are removable. The structure of the cage is quite bulky as it has a stand as well. The stand can be removed and the cage itself can be placed anywhere on some solid surface.
Expansion option doesn’t exist for this cage as well.
Estimated Price for Mcage Large Double Wrought Iron Cage with 3 levels
The estimated price for this cage is $199.
This cage can accommodate 2 Chinchillas easily.
10. Quality Cage Crafters Chinchilla Mansion
This cage is constructed with metal which makes it safe for chinchilla and is chew-proof. Some components of this cage are also made up of wood.
The shelves of this cage are easy to remove and are four in number. The cage comes with a floor panel and trays which are removable. This makes the cage easy to clean as well.
This cage is quite expensive to buy as it’s hand-made in the United States by Quality Cage Crafters. It also comes with a one-year warranty.
This cage does not come with an expansion option.
It can easily accommodate two Chinchillas in separate compartments.
Estimated Price for Quality Cage Crafters Chinchilla Mansion
Price for this Chinchilla cage is $380.
So, if you are planning to buy a Chinchilla cage then go through each provided option and make a choice accordingly while keeping your budget and all other factors under consideration.